Who does ‘volunteer insurance’ cover?

ANIP members have an insurance policy that covers all voluntary workers.  They must be engaged in, or in necessary direct travel to and from, voluntary work that is officially organised by and under the control of the insured member.

What happens if there is an injury?

The injured person should:

  • Follow normal immediate response first aid procedures
  • Submit incident report to your supervisor/manager contact
  • Follow medical advice from a legally qualified and registered medical practitioner as soon as possible after sustaining the injury.
  • Complete the relevant Claim Form and forward it to ANIP without delay.
  • Provide the insurer with any additional information which they may require about the claim e.g. doctors’ report, medical receipts and payslips for loss of income claims.
  • When lodging a claim, advise the insurer of any other insurance that may cover the same injury.

Will all expenses be covered?

Expenses covered are sometimes called “Non-Medicare expenses”.  Due to legislation, insurers are prevented from covering any out of hospital expenses that have a Medicare component. This includes any “gap” between the Medicare component and the actual fee charged, so there is no coverage under the policy for any government Medicare related gap. 

What expenses are covered by this policy?

All non-Medicare items, such as dental, ambulance, physiotherapy, chiropractic etc, are claimable under the Voluntary Workers policy.  If the injured person is the holder of private health insurance and claims against this, they must advise that they have done so and they may submit a claim for this “gap” under the Voluntary Workers policy.

Are there any limitations?

Those over the age of 75 and under the age of 95 are only eligible for cover of Funeral Expenses, Emergency Home Help and Non-Medicare Medical Expenses.  For Non-Medicare medical expenses the maximum amount payable is $10,000.

What if I don’t have private health insurance?

Regardless of whether someone has private health insurance or not, the above procedures should be followed and the relevant expenses paid, claim forms completed and receipts submitted on completion of treatment.